Monday, July 6, 2009

Talisker 10


Talisker 10 Year Old
Island Single Malt Whisky
$52

I bought this bottle for myself after completing the 30 consecutive days of bike riding that we did back in April. I had a little bit of it at the time but haven't touched it since; time to break it open again and see what my impressions are.

Talisker, dating back to 1830, is the only distillery on the Isle of Skye. The island is the northernmost of the Inner Hebrides and is known for its picturesque scenery and long heritage, which incorporates some of the history of Norse and Gaelic cultures. It is considered a Highland whisky, though it is not distilled on the mainland.

Nose: Peaty with a spicy character not exactly found in Laphroaig or Highland Park. Apple cider vinegar, lemon rind and sea salt. At a distance, bracing mountain air like a crisp autumn morning.

Palate: Real sweetness initially, oaky, brown sugar, with a strong peat kick through the finish. The stronger-than-average % abv is noticeable, but doesn't detract from the whisky's malt character or smoothness.

I bought this whisky after reading innumerable glowing reviews across the Internet. It is quite good. It really manages to be two things: extremely sweet and then very peated and salty. Each subsequent sip I have had just now reinforces that the whisky tastes first sweet, like an old bourbon (almost like rum?) and then, upon swallowing, very peaty and a little bitter, like a Laphroaig without the medicinal characteristic.
It is the most two-toned whisky I have tasted to date. It really doesn't blend the flavors at all, it presents them in succession. Very interesting... but after this one's gone, I plan to keep an Islay on hand for peat. If it is to be a peated night, I'd just as soon commit to it. If I want a malt that blends its sweet and smoky flavors to perfection, I think Highland Park will be the choice... at least so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment