Friday, May 15, 2009

Laphroaig 10 year old


Laphroaig Single Islay Malt
10 years old
$50

I'm going to start this blog off by tasting, and trying to describe, the last dram of Laphroaig 10yo left in a bottle I've been trying to drag out/prolong the life of for about two years. I bought it for myself as a university graduation present in 2007. Time, I think, to finish it off and replace it. I'll put another Islay malt on the shelf sometime, and post tasting notes.

Nose:
Little initial alcohol 'burn.' Very peaty and medicinal, a bit like iodine or antiseptic. Seaweed, like sushi wrappers, and salt air. Some bourbon-like sweetness in the background.

Palate:
I've read descriptions of this as being an "oily" mouth feel, but it actually seems quite light. In feel, though, not flavor! Peat is very strong, combined with the hint of seawater. A bit of black pepper and cucumber flavors along with the earthy, salty smokiness.

Finish:
Still more peat, of course. Also a touch of sweetness. The flavor fades away slowly and continues to remind me that I'm drinking what is called Scotland's "most richly flavored malt whisky," according to the bottle.

This is an excellent whisky (out of the few that I have tried.) It isn't as balanced as some of the Highland malts, or even the other island whiskies like Highland Park or Talisker. It was originally, for me, an acquired taste. However, it is a smooth and unique malt with a powerful flavor, and nothing else I have tried is quite like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment